Thursday, February 28, 2008

Processions in Pushkar.

Pushkar, 02-03-1995. Just outside my hotel is a hindu temple dedicated to whatever god in the hindu panthenon of gods and deities. From the balconey of my room I watch, a bangh lassie down my throat and as spliff hanging from the left corner of my mouth, how the local vistors to Pushkar hire some of the numerous musicians that wait just outside Pushkar for customers, and under the accompaniment of extreme out of tune music set off for this temple. They pass underneath my balconey and I watch how their women folk dance in front of the temple while their men encourage them on. After the dancing they all enter including the musicians and their continuing out of tune music, lots of chanting sounds from the inside and the heavy odour of indian insence coming out of the temple in smoky walms invades my nostrils. Eventually it is all over, they all come out, the musicians get their pay and wander off in search of new customers while the devotees head off for the chai shop at the end of the street. This sort of processions go on all over Pushkar, at all the numerous hindu temples in Pushkar.

No comments: