Monday, December 31, 2007

Plastic junk.

Hampi, 18-12-1994. The main festival of the year dedicated to the deity of Hampi - Lord Shiva himself - started yesterday. Last night they carried statues of Lord Shiva and his wife Parvati from the temple to the tank in front of my hotel where they put the statues in a boat and let the boat float around for a while. I watched the proceedings but the exact meaning of all this eluded me despite the efforts of the chai shop wallah to explain it all to me!!! Despite the VERY polluted water of the tank several locals overcome by relicious fervour, no doubt, jumped into the tank and swam along with Lord Shiva`s boat. Naturally all the noice, singing and chanting, the cries of exited devotees chased me away from my customary place at the chai shop late afternoon. Off course the festival brings bus loads of local tourists to Hampi as well as sellers who come to Hampi en masse building their market stalls in Hampi`s main bazaar selling all this plastic junk the average indian tourist is so happy with. Plastic bangles in a billion different colors but with only one design.

No comments: