Thursday, December 27, 2007

Lord Venkatesan.

Thirupathi, 08-12-1994. 51 haircut curves and all the way up in a rambling old bus I fear will fall apart at any moment, full with pelgrimsdressed in black, their voices shrill in exitement. their eyes full with devotion. Their time has finally come to get darsan from Lord Venkatesan. Nothing can stop them now, not even the prospect of 5 hot and dusty hours in a queue. I followed them and full with wonder but bought myself a entrance ticket for 30 Rp. to shorten the waiting time. In the end I saw a black colored, 3 m. tall statue, bulky like the priests that were in attentance and covered in garlands, tikka and flowers at about 20 m. of murky dark distance. A mean looking indian pushed on those devotees who spent more as the presumeably usual 10 seconds. As a western tourist who had also bought a hefty 30 Rp. Entrance ticket, however, I was allowed a special place at the side and could take my time.

No comments: