Sunday, January 14, 2007

Phodang

Gangtok, 23-02-1994. taking my backpack with me on the 2,5 h. bustrip to Phodang this morning. I felt fit and ready for a strenuous hike in forested and mountainous terrain, the purpous of my hike was the monastery of Phodang on top of a steep hill. Arriving at the place i found most of the residing tibetan monks involved in full prayer ceremony chanting and making religious music. The murals of the inner sanctum took my breath away. In a small room in the back i found more muralsand a lone monk chanting in a loud voice, the murals depicted devils and demons, scenes out of a hellish world looked like something out of a bad LSD trip. With the lone monk starting to bang away at a gigantic drum and throwing yak milk aroundcompleted the other worldly feeling.

No comments: