Sunday, January 14, 2007

More Mean Bangh-lassies

Varanasi,04-02-1994. Like at teh bazaars of Calcutta, the endless maze of small alleys that are part of focal point of Varanasi and bazaars hold an eternal fascination for me, especially after consuming a Bangh-lassie and late at night. Most allys are even too small for rickshaws althought these guys will give it a try any way. My Bangh-lassie i consume in a chai shop and charras come out of a hole in some wall or other, just a hand poking out and handing you your dope demanding a handfull of dirty rupies in return. It is easy enough to find my way around but after all the charras i smoke and the Bangh-lassies the place becomes outer-worldly and i start to freak out, with all the shadows caused by late night cooking pots and all the Holy Cows that roam these small alleys, the sounds from the nearby garage like shops quite litarally do my head in but somehow i always seem to make it back to my little hotel room where small spiders inhabit the walls and ceiling, enormous cockroaches crawl around on the concreet carpet free floor. In my present state of mind i could scream but instead i just go my small one person bed and try to sleep it all off in blissful Shiva given oblivion of the dream world.

No comments: